Um… where did August go?!?
We’ve had an awesome “foodie” weekend! Friday night we served homemade ice cream and desserts to 60+ guests in our backyard after the football scrimmage. (I made Butterfinger and vanilla ice cream.) We attended Lance’s 20 year high school reunion picnic in the park Saturday night, and my annual family reunion cookout today. (Sixty-eight people, swimming, games, burgers/chicken/brawtwurst = so much fun!!!) I love potluck meals; especially when talented cooks share their favorite dishes. Lance isn’t much of a salad eater, but I enjoy them, so I get to feast on all sorts of interesting salads at family cookouts. Yum!
Here’s what we’re eating this week.
- homemade granola (we skipped our usual big brunch in anticipation of eating lots of food the rest of the day… we were not disappointed!)
- I don’t know exactly what Lance and the kids ate, but here’s what I remember eating at the cookout: grilled chicken, potato casserole, potato salad, cucumber salad, chili cornbread salad, frog-eye salad (yummy little pasta balls), a deviled egg, ranch pasta salad, and a piece of Skor cake. Oh, and maybe a pecan tart… and lots of appetizers. (Please… anyone else out there willing to admit that they like to sample nearly everything???) I made the Chili Cornbread Salad and Skor cake. Those leftovers will not be a part of our menu this week because, well, there are none.
- Um… I won’t be eating supper tonight 😉
** The picture is from Taste of Home, but this salad really does turn out that pretty!**
Monday, 9/1 Happy Labor Day! No school today, so everyone’s home to eat.
- waffles, bacon, scrambled eggs
- banana/strawberry/orange slush, sandwiches
- sloppy joes, baked beans, carrot sticks, deviled eggs
Tuesday through Friday Suppers
- black bean quesadillas (I like to add a diced chicken breast to the mixture for supper) with lettuce/tomato/sour cream, pears
- homemade pizza, fresh fruit
- chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, grean beans (Third time’s a charm, right? I’ve had this on my menu for three weeks now…)
- leftovers or sandwiches before the first football game of the season!
- sausage and ham breakfast casserole, cinnamon rolls, apples and dip (I’m feeding the football team, as I do every Saturday morning during the season.)
- loaded black bean nachos, smoothies
- clean out the fridge
Have a great week, everyone! Check out more menus over at Organizing Junkie!