Another great challenge from the ladies at Happy to be at Home! (No, I haven’t forgotten my clutter. Yes, I’m working on it. One box down, one to go. I’ll keep you posted.) In August we are encouraged to get in more Face Time with the kids.
You’d think that as a SAHM I would get all sorts of time with my kiddos, and I do… but too often lately I find myself telling them to get busy or creating things for them to be busy with so that I can “get something done.” I even find myself getting cranky with them when I trip over them in the kitchen they are in my way or need me for something.
A few little reminders, mom.
- The kids are growing and changing every single day.
- The “something to be done” will ALWAYS be there.
- The kids (sigh) may not always want to be the center of my attention.
- Time with them is a gift I’ve been given and a commitment I’ve made.
- “Something to be done”… I checked. It’s still there.
Some things that we do well:
- We eat almost all of our meals together and have great conversation.
- We read… a lot. I’ve read through the entire Little House series and nearly all of the “Rose Years” with my 5 year old since Christmas. My two year old joins us, or he waits patiently for his turn with another book. I read to the baby when she wakes up in the morning or from her naps (she has just started to grab a book and toddle it to me… who can say no to that?!?)
- My kids love to be in the kitchen helping me cook. The 5 and 2 year olds can both crack eggs. They also love to dump ingredients (usually in the bowl) and stir.
- We’ve gone swimming (the whole family) several times this summer.
Some things we’re going to try, or try to be better at, this week:
- Our family devotion time is sporadic. We’ll be consistent.
- We’re taking a mini-vacation later in the week, so there will be no “somethings that need to be done” to distract us me from our time together.
- I’ll take at least one, maybe two, with me to do some grocery/household shopping. When daddy’s available I like to go it alone… but my oldest loves to be my “eagle eye” and scope out the sale stickers.
Thanks for the challenge, ladies! If you want to join in, or to get great ideas for face time with the kids, head on over to Happy to be at Home.