Watching my little garden flourish and produce an abundance of tomatoes, pumpkins, and peppers this week, I’ve felt like I’m raising a fourth child. The kids have a ball navigating through the plants jungle picking all the produce (lesson learned… don’t plant everything so close together!). My littlest one tends to gravitate toward the green tomatoes, so I have to watch her carefully!
I am so very excited about our bell peppers! Peppers are a favorite around here to complete lots of recipes, but we especially enjoy them in fajitas and breakfast burritos. I’m thrilled to have so many to slice and chop up for my freezer. Only my red pepper plants got smothered by the pumpkins, so I have lots of green and yellow left. Keeping the smug look off of my face at the grocery store this winter when I pass by the peppers priced at $1.00 or more each will be a challenge!
Here’s what we’re eating this week, as we continue to enjoy veggies from the garden.
- breakfast casserole, cinnamon rolls, muffins (left over from yesterday’s team breakfast)
- sandwiches, grapes
- grilled steak and chicken, potatoes, garden salad
- Tex-Mex potatoes
- spaghetti, green beans or corn, breadsticks (Going to make my own sauce for the first time! Any advice for me?)
- BLTs, fried okra
- stuffed peppers (recipe below), pears
- Game Night! leftovers, sandwiches
- blueberry pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage (team breakfast)
- clean out the fridge
- black bean nachos, smoothies
- 3 green bell peppers
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 c. water
- 1 tsp. beef bouillon
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 c. cooked rice
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Cut peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membrane. Sprinkle with salt. Put in baking dish. Dissolve bouillon in tomato paste and water. Set aside. Brown beef, onions and garlic. Add rice, Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 cup of tomato paste mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Fill peppers. Top with remaining tomato paste liquid and cheese. Cover and bake 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
Have a great week! Go visit OrgJunkie for lots and lots of menu inspiration!